Position: EASTERN KENTUCKY FARM TO TABLE COORDINATOR
Location: Southeastern Kentucky
Base Salary: $34,000 with generous health, dental, vision and other benefits
Starting Date: September 1, 2017
About Community Farm Alliance (CFA):
CFA is a statewide grassroots membership organization that strives to bring a voice on issues affecting family farmers and local food consumers to both state and national policy makers. Since 1985 Community Farm Alliance has led major innovations in Kentucky’s agriculture, food and community policy development.
CFA has over a thousand passionate, committed members from across the Commonwealth. CFA members are a mix of urban, rural, farmers and non-farmers, rich, poor, young and old. The “community” in Community Farm Alliance is not defined by geography but by values that govern good stewardship of land, family, and community.
This is a full-time position with a three-year commitment based in Eastern Kentucky.
Community Farm Alliance’s Eastern Kentucky Farm to Table Coordinator will participate as a key member of CFA’s staff team and is responsible for coordinating and implementing CFA’s Eastern Kentucky market development workplan that builds regional and community food systems, with a special focus on Farm to Institution. The EKY F2TC will work directly with farmers, with participating markets in CFA’s Farmer’s Market Support Program, public schools, other institutions, private enterprises, and organizations to build a local food supply chain network for institutional markets.
The position is also responsible for coordinating and integrating CFA’s Program of Work in Eastern Kentucky that specifically a) builds CFA’s EKY membership, b) identifies and develops EKY CFA Leadership, and c) helps to build regional collaboration.
CFA is an equal opportunity employer – People of color are encouraged to apply
For more information please visit: http://cfaky.org/get-involved/employment-opportunities/
To apply (send Resume, cover letter, along with two writing samples, 3 professional references and 2 personal references) to Martin Richards, Executive Director, P.O. Box 130 Berea, KY 40403or Email (preferred) email@example.com no later than September 1st with subject line of “Eastern Kentucky Farm to Table Coordinator”.
Questions regarding the position can be submitted to this email address as well.
Community Farm Alliance’s Eastern Kentucky Farm to Table Coordinator (EKY F2TC) is responsible for coordinating and implementing CFA’s Eastern Kentucky market development workplan that builds regional and community food systems with a special focus on Farm to Institution. The EKY F2TC will work directly with farmers, with participating markets in CFA’s Farmer’s Market Support Program (FMSP), public schools and other institutions, private enterprises, and other organizations to build a local food supply chain network for institutional markets.
- Reports regularly to the Executive Director;
- Fulfills CFA’s general organizing responsibilities;
- Provides regular communication content via print, web, and social media with CFA’s membership regarding the work of the organization and enhances the quality of the communication systems where possible;
- Identifies and analyzes agricultural issues that affect Kentucky’s family farmers;
- Designs and facilitates meetings and workshops of all sizes;
- Collaborates with CFA’s staff team, CFA members, allied organizations, businesses, community leaders, institutions, policy makers, and the media to advance the mission and goals of CFA;
- Develops relationships with individuals in both rural and urban communities that result in the recruitment of additional CFA members and the development of new CFA leaders;
- Assists CFA’s staff team with additional duties including, but not limited to, preparing for the annual membership meeting and fundraising events, mass mailings and office cleaning.
- Supports, strengthens and connects food systems development in eastern Kentucky.
- Consults with eastern Kentucky communities on food system related projects as needed.
- Develop strategic partnerships with CFA members, community members, regional organizations, and local government agencies to encourage communication and support for food system development and to advance the goals of CFA.
- Support Agriculture Legacy Initiative goals in Eastern Kentucky.
- Identifies and helps to develop supportive, related policy and strategic partnerships in support of CFA’s policy issues.
- Supports overall food system market development in Kentucky, including institutional wholesale markets, food hub development, and direct sale markets by developing relationships, understanding technical requirements, and sharing the linkages between farmers and markets.
- Must have earned a bachelor’s degree, preferably in a relevant field (marketing, economic development, agriculture, environmental or other life science);
- Must have strong analytical skills;
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Possess good baseline knowledge of SNAP, WIC, Senior Farmers Market and other relevant Federal Food and Nutrition Programs.
- Possess good baseline knowledge of GAP, HACCP and FSMA
- Must be able to self-organize and multi-task;
- Must be comfortable with the suite of Microsoft Office applications: Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Publisher. Additionally, the applicant will be expected to use Web-based applications such as Facebook, WordPress, and online database management systems.
- At least one year experience in farming, agriculture marketing, farmers markets, or farm to school.
- Committed to the values inherent in community organizing and leadership development;
- Committed to advancing diversity;
- Able to perform in a variety of environments and diverse social settings. The applicant should be able to transition fluidly and comfortably from an urban setting, to a farm, and then to legislative meeting, all within the same week (maybe even the same day!);
- Able to initiate contact with persons not known, in person and by phone;
- Able to occasionally travel throughout the state and accommodate a work schedule that will include occasional evening and weekend commitments;
- Must have reliable transportation and a mobile phone;
- Able to take the initiative; be self-motivated; work independently as well as in a team; work well under pressure; be a creative thinker and; be a good problem solver;
- Open and honest – must enjoy working with people!