REQUEST FOR APPLICATIONS
Community Farm Alliance is accepting application from Kentucky farmers’ markets for our 2020 Kentucky Farmers’ Market Support Program.
MISSION OF THE KENTUCKY FARMERS MARKET SUPPORT PROGRAM (FMSP)
Kentucky farmers markets are an important component of community development. They provide an important gateway to accessing the freshest, most nutritious food, building a local food system, improving the community economy, and are an opportunity for all members of the community to interact socially and economically. They provide a retail market for small-scale and beginning farmers and can be a food hub for aggregating and distributing to supply restaurants, farm to school programs, institutions, wholesalers and regional distributors – a critical component for farmers to scale up production and profitability.
The mission of Community Farm Alliance’s Farmers Market Support Program is to provide Kentucky farmers markets with the tools, resources and network development that enables them to create a profitable market outlet for farmers, access to fresh food to all members of the community, a path to sustainability, and the creation of a grassroots base for public policy that supports local food system development.
- Strategic planning facilitation for organization development and long-term market goals;
- Governance and management toolkits and training for legal structure options, by-laws, Board and organization policy development, as well as budgets, fee structures, conflict resolution, and development of market management personnel.
- Market vendor training about product presentation and regulations concerning value-added and sampling;
- Toolkits for publicity and marketing development through advertising, publicity and buy-local campaigns, as well as how to participate in food and nutrition programs;
- How to build community support through establishing Friends of the Farmers Market.
- Grant writing training and notification of funding opportunities;
- A cost-share/match program for market managers;
- Kentucky Double Dollars cost-share incentive program for matching SNAP and WIC and Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program benefits.
- Annual Kentucky Farmers Markets Gathering
All Farmers markets applying will receive technical assistance, and may additionally apply for:
- Market Manager Costshare
- Kentucky Double Dollars Costshare
Eligible Farmers Markets must:
- Represent a minimum of 5 Kentucky farmers
- Market a majority of their products from Kentucky farms within 50 miles
- If not incorporated, must be actively pursuing a legal organizational structure
Community Farm Alliance will provide technical assistance to Kentucky farmers markets in the form of regional workshops, webinars, and toolkits. One-to-one technical assistance will also be made available by CFA’s FMSP Technical Assistance Team through on-site visits.
There is no limit to how many farmers markets may apply for technical assistance. Some workshop travel costs will be reimbursed depending on the number of markets that apply. Workshop food and refreshments will be provided for a nominal cost.
Market Manager Costshare
CFA will provide a 1:1 costshare up to $2,000 to support a market manager. Successful applicants will be chosen based on the potential impact of the program on their market, their willingness to create a long-term plan for market sustainability, the participation of market vendors, number of farmers impacted, and demonstrated community support.
The number of markets accepted will be determined by the amount of funds available.
Due to current funding requirements, markets are limited to 3 years of eligibility for the Market Manager Cost-share.
Double Dollar Costshare
CFA will provide a costshare up to $4,000 and technical assistance for markets to implement a healthy food access incentive program for markets to increase sales to SNAP, WIC and Seniors Nutritional Programs participants. This cost-share requires a 3:1 match from participating markets.
Anticipated Impact and Evaluation
Successful applicants will be expected to acknowledge Community Farm Alliance in their advertising, and provide program specific data and reports, as well as host a “CFA” day at their market.
For more information or to request an application please contact James Cochran via James (at) cfaky.org
Funding for the Farmers Market Support Program provided by: