The combined Market Manager Cost-Share/ Kentucky Double Dollars grant application is now open until January 31, 2021. Applicants can apply for one or both of the programs through one grant application. For details about the grant programs and requirements, please see the content below. For questions about the application, contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Manager Cost Share
The Market Manager Cost Share (MMCS) funds up to $2,000 for a market manager with a 1:1 cost share. The market raises up to $2000 for a market manager and the MMCS will match those funds up to $2000.
To be eligible, a market must be incorporated and legally allowed to accept funds, or use a fiscal sponsor. Although a market may apply for a cost-share in anticipation of hiring a market manager, funds will not be awarded until the market manager has been on-boarded to your market.
Markets are eligible for up to three years of MMCS funding. Those who have received 3 or more years of funding may apply for a MMCS, but will be placed on a waiting list should additional funding be secured. In past years, CFA was able to secure more funding for markets with 3 or more years of previous funding but we cannot guarantee it.
Notification of the MMCS awards is typically sent out in March or April. It may be a bit later for markets that have previously received 3 years of funding. One half of the MMCS award will be disbursed upon receipt of a signed Memorandum of Understanding and the farmers market’s 2021 market manager job description and contract. The final disbursement of the award will be upon receipt of the mid-season MMCS report.
The market will be required to submit midseason and final reports. These reports must include testimonials about the impact of the market manager and monthly accounts of customer attendance, vendor sales, and market manager hours and wages.
Kentucky Double Dollars
The Kentucky Double Dollars (KDD) Program gives farmers market customers the ability to double the value of their federal nutrition benefits (SNAP, WIC, and SFMNP) to purchase fresh, local food. Click Here for more information about the program.
Kentucky Double Dollars is a reimbursement-based program. Markets will only receive funds for incentives (vouchers and tokens) redeemed by farmers at their market, for which the market has already reimbursed the farmer. Markets apply for an award of 75% of their overall budget for each program. Markets are responsible for contributing or fundraising the remaining 25% of their budget.
To be eligible, a market must be incorporated and legally allowed to accept funds, or use a fiscal sponsor.
To be eligible to receive Senior Farmers Market Nutrition funding, the farmers markets must be currently registered with the Kentucky Department of Agriculture Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program (SFMNP).
To be eligible to receive Women, Infant, and Children (WIC) Farmers Market Nutrition funding, the farmers market must be currently registered with the Kentucky Cabinet of Health and Family Services WIC Farmers Market Nutrition Program (WIC FMNP).
To be eligible for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) funding, the market must be an authorized SNAP retailer with the USDA Food & Nutrition Service and have a valid FNS number.
KDD awardees are typically notified in March or April. Markets can apply for up to $5500 with the following limits:
- KDD SNAP Fruits & Vegetables has a $2000 award max.
- KDD SNAP Meat, Eggs, & Dairy has a $1500 award max.
- KDD WIC/Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program has a $2000 award max. that can be divided between the two programs or be applied to just one program at the market’s request.
All new and returning markets to the KDD program will be required to attend a training about how to implement the KDD program. Although the software for tracking KDD is not complex, it does require basic technical literacy and comfort with data collection. The market’s KDD administrator must have reliable access to the internet and be available for regular email communication.
The market will be required to submit monthly reimbursement requests as well as accounts of daily customer transactions, vendor gross sales, average customer counts, vendor reimbursements, staffing, and event data.
Documents and Data Needed for the Application:
- Estimated vendor gross sales for the past 3 years (KDD & MMCS applicants)
- Estimated redemptions for SNAP, Credit/Debit, Produce Prescription Programs, and Children’s Produce Incentive transactions (KDD as applicable)
- FNS SNAP Authorization Number (KDD SNAP applicants)
- Vendor counts for the previous year (KDD & MMCS applicants)
- Your fiscal sponsor’s or (if incorporated) your market’s EIN/Federal Tax ID# (KDD & MMCS applicants)
- Contact information for important stakeholders (KDD & MMCS applicants)
For questions about the application, contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.