Position: FRESH Rx COORDINATOR
Salary: $35,000 with generous health, dental, vision and other benefits
Anticipated Starting Date: August 2021
Community Farm Alliance is seeking a dynamic, creative, and hard-working individual capable of critical thinking about sustainable agriculture, food systems, economic and social justice, in support of Kentucky farmers and Kentucky communities for the position of Fresh Rx Coordinator
About Community Farm Alliance (CFA):
CFA is a statewide grassroots membership organization that strives to bring a voice on issues affecting family farmers and local food consumers to both state and national policy makers. Since 1985 Community Farm Alliance has led major innovations in Kentucky’s agriculture, food and community policy development.
CFA has over a thousand passionate, committed members from across the Commonwealth. CFA members are a mix of urban, rural, farmers and non-farmers, rich, poor, young and old. The “community” in Community Farm Alliance is not defined by geography but by values that govern good stewardship of land, family, and community.
Community Farm Alliance has a long history of working on farm and food policy, from market development to institutional procurement, and food access. CFA’s most recent work has been centered on the priorities of a) Increasing sales and income to Kentucky farmers, b) Increasing access to local food, especially fresh and healthy, to low-income populations, and c) leveraging federal food and nutrition program funds to support priorities a & b.
At CFA, we start from the core belief that everyone has a right to a safe and healthy food system and that thriving family farms are critical to this end. We are grateful to live in a country where our government is mandated to operate responsively and democratically, but we recognize that it does not always work effectively for all people. In recent years, we have worked tirelessly to make these rights a reality by providing a voice for family farmers and Kentucky consumers through our direct advocacy work in Frankfort and Washington DC. CFA has also focused its energies on providing support for local and statewide programs that have expanded the availability and access of fresh, local food in this state.
The Fresh Rx Coordinator is a full-time Community Farm Alliance (CFA) employee and a key member of the staff team responsible for the coordination and implementation of CFA’s produce prescription program for expecting Mothers-on-Medicaid, Fresh Rx for MOMs. This position is 100% funded by the USDA’s Gus Schumacher COVID Relief and Response grant.
As a member of the Healthy Communities Initiative, the Fresh Rx Coordinator works closely with CFA’s Food Access Program Director to administer CFA’s Fresh Rx for MOMs produce prescription program, including providing technical assistance to implementation sites, collaborating with stakeholders to administer the program, conducting outreach, and implementing measures to improve program outcomes.
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Must be able to self-organize and multi-task;
- Experience facilitating meetings and working with diverse coalitions;
- Must have strong analytical skills;
- Experience with marketing, promotion, and community outreach; and
- Must be comfortable with the suite of Microsoft Office applications and web-based applications such as Facebook, WordPress, and online database management systems.
- Committed to the values inherent in community organizing and leadership development;
- Committed to advancing diversity, equity and inclusion;
- Able to perform in a variety of environments and diverse social settings.
- Able to initiate contact with persons not known, in person and by phone;
- Able to travel throughout the state and accommodate a work schedule that will include occasional evening and weekend commitments;
- Must have reliable transportation and a mobile phone;
- Able to take the initiative; be self-motivated; able to work independently as well as in a team; work well under pressure; be a creative thinker and; be a good problem solver;
- Open and honest – must enjoy working with people!
Additional helpful qualifications:
- Knowledge of and/or has participated in the Kentucky Double Dollars program, federal nutrition incentive programs (SNAP, WIC, Senior FMNP), or other healthy food access initiatives.
- Knowledge of and/or has participated in Medicaid.
- Familiar with local mothers’ support organizations.
- Graphic design and the development of promotional materials – print, digital, and social media.
- At least one-year experience in agriculture marketing, program administration, or farmers markets.
To apply, send resume, cover letter, along with two writing samples, 3 professional references, and 2 personal references to
Martin Richards, Executive Director, P.O. Box 130 Berea, KY 40403
Email (preferred) email@example.com no later than July 31, 2021 with subject line of “Fresh Rx Coordinator.” Questions regarding the position can be submitted to this email address, or to CFA’s Food Access Director, Brittany Steffey at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no phone calls about this job.
CFA is actively seeking to diversify its staff – People of color are strongly encouraged to apply
For a detailed job description, please click here.